1/5th throttle conversion how-to w/ ***pics*** - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-29-2005, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Talking 1/5th throttle conversion how-to w/ ***pics***

Here we go, round two.

This is a relatively simple mod, IMO. Im not very mechanically inclined, and I got er done.

First you unscrew the two screws for the throttle cable housing. I wrecked and scratched mine up and had to get an impact driver to get the screws out. Stock I would imagine that wouldn't be necessary.

Then slide the rubber "condom" down off of the aluminum thottle housing and down the throttle cables to assist in removing the housing.

You will need to dremmel out the "walls" on the inside of the housing thats closest to your brake lever.

Before:

After:

If you dont dremmel it out then you will have problems with your throttle binding.

Next is the throttle cable adjustment. In my case I had to adjust both adjustments...the one above the radiator...

and the one near the throttle bodies.

To get the maximum adjustment from each, I cut off the lock rings on each. I just used some dikes and was careful.

Now, getting to that second adjustment is somewhat tricky due to the need to remove the tank and airbox. However, Ill tell you the trick.

to remove the tank, you need to remove the two bolts at the top, and then your seat to get to the other bolt. with those three bolts removed, quick disconnect the fuel line to the pump, the vent hose, and the electric connection on the subframe on your shift lever side.

Now, If youre standing on the thottle side of the bike, looking at the airbox, remove the 5 allen bolts you see. Then separate the rubber ram air tubes from the box to allow free movement. The ram air gets in the way sort of. ow pull the airbox up SLIGHTLY, then twist it 90 degrees counter clockwise to allow the bulge in the airbox to move toward the battery.

Took a bit of elbow grease, but no big deal. Installation is just the opposite. Just takes a bit of finagglin!

with that removed, you can now freely acces the throttle cable adjustment.

BTW, if you want new velocity stacks, nows the time to do it!

Then all you have left to do is slip the 1/5th insert over the throttle and re-connect the cables. I had the latest so theres a grove that the cables slide in.

Even with cutting the lock nuts off of my cables, I still had to play with the placement of the throttle on my clip-on...On my bike I have adjusted the brake lever from stock and also moved the clip-on outward for more leverage.

But with mine, I slid the throttle up till it butted up against the kill switch mount, and then my srewdriver had JUST enough room to screw in the lower screw.

But I still have the same snap as stock did. NO BINDING, with stock cables.

I prolly missed something, but thats most of it and it gives you a good idea of what you'll be up against!

Cant wait to see what its like on the track now!

Dont forget to hook your stuff back to the bottom of your tank before you get it all bolted back together...

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2005, 08:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to dr_wookiee Send a message via MSN to dr_wookiee
That's the same one
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Got my 1/5th throttle

Got my 1/5th throttle and start the asemmby work...

In STD throttle position there in not much clearance in wires..another is almost unadjustable but on other one there is some mm adjustment play..see the photo...lets see if the free play is OK for insert...What do you guys with experience think...is the free play enough ?

I was forced to use impact tool when removing throttle cover screws...Very tight screws indeed. Now the inser is installed but I have the question for Rifleman !!! The groove is very light in the middle of insert YOU SENT ??? Is it dangerous ? I am wondering if the wire is still in groove when driving ???

Which is the best tool or way to grind the notch (2 pcs) away ? And then, if I remove the insert - will the STD throttle work without those notches ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Play for adjustment.jpg
Views:	9735
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	13565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insert installed.jpg
Views:	9723
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	13566   Click image for larger version

Name:	grinding not yet started.jpg
Views:	9683
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	13567  

post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

all i did was grind down the mounting plate for the cables buy the t-body's
Attached Images

post #5 of 7 Old 01-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

all i did was grind down the mounting plate for the cables

Thanks, that was my intention...I have had some troubles to remove the throttle assy base plate...How you did it Sweetride10r ?

see more...

How to remove air cleaner lower plate ?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2006, 04:13 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul66
all i did was grind down the mounting plate for the cables

Thanks, that was my intention...I have had some troubles to remove the throttle assy base plate...How you did it Sweetride10r ?

see more...

How to remove air cleaner lower plate ?

There are 2 4mm alins under the plate that pinch the clamos aroung th t-body's. then unbult the mounting plate and grind away. you still need to do the grind offf the 2 tabs in the throttle tube housing
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
discuss this topic here...

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.p...ighlight=1%2F5

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.